In fact, it is not uncommon for international locations to have a number of worldwide airports; Most do if they’ve a number of inhabitants facilities. The UAE, nonetheless, stands out, with its inhabitants of simply over 10 million, it will recommend. However with a number of Emirates and two large airways inside the nation, it is smart.
airports in united arab emirates
Everybody has heard of the massive airports in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, the place there are Emirates and Etihad. In fact, each of those are primarily based in the identical nation, the United Arab Emirates (UAE). And they aren’t alone. The United Arab Emirates (principally small, personal or govt airspace) has at the least 12 airports with IATA codes and 10 extra with ICAO codes.
Among the many IATA registered airports, the next are an important:
- Dubai Worldwide Airport (DXB). The house base of the emirate and the biggest airport within the United Arab Emirates (and the fourth busiest globally in 2019).
- Abu Dhabi Worldwide Airport (AUH). The house of Etihad and the second largest airport within the United Arab Emirates.
- Al Baatein Government Airport (AZI). A industrial airport close to Abu Dhabi. It was the primary airport earlier than AUH was shaped within the Eighties.
- Al Ain Worldwide Airport (AAN). Northeast of Abu Dhabi, serving a number of regional flights.
- Dubai World Central / Al Maktoum Worldwide Airport (DWC). It opened in 2010 and is presently serving just a few airways regionally (many flights are seasonal). Nonetheless, there are plans for an enormous growth, with the completion anticipated in 2027.
- Fujairah Worldwide Airport (FJR). It presently operates solely cargo flights.
- Sharjah Worldwide Airport (SHJ). An vital passenger and cargo airport within the north of the United Arab Emirates. It’s the mainstay of low-cost airline Air Arabia and serves many different Indian and Asian airways as nicely.
- Ras Al Khaimah Worldwide Airport (RKT). Within the far north of the United Arab Emirates, a number of regional flights, together with SpiceJet and Air Arabia, serve.
- Sir Bani Sure Airport (XSB). A small airport serving the island of Sir Bai Yas within the south of the United Arab Emirates. It used to have home service to Abu Dhabi, however this was eliminated in 2017.
A number of emirates in a single nation
To know why there are such a lot of airports, we have to have a look at the political construction of the UAE. Whereas it’s a nation, it’s made up of separate emirates; A complete of seven (Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm Al Quwain). Every of those emirates has its personal land space, and its personal authorities and sheikh ruler.
The historical past and operation of those emirates is an attention-grabbing dialogue however is inside the scope of this text. Importantly for the sake of this dialogue, every emirate takes duty for many of its insurance policies, controls, and monetary issues (however provides some income to the price range of the central United Arab Emirates).
Whereas they function collectively because the United Arab Emirates, there stays a component of competitors (and separate technique) between the emirates. And this has given rise to completely different airports in every emirate. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the 2 most vital examples. Every has its personal airline (with an related airport). However there’s competitors forward; For instance, Abu Dhabi controls the vast majority of oil revenues; Whereas Dubai has the biggest metropolis and the biggest inhabitants.
It ought to come as no shock that 5 of those emirates have separate airports (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah and Sharjah). These are both served by their very own airways or with whom specific Emirates has negotiated. There are additionally commerce hyperlinks; Many airports are primarily used for freight site visitors on behalf of that emirate. And Ras Al Khaimah has an growing function inside the free commerce zone established in that emirate.
Be told: Join For our day by day and weekly aviation information digest.
and two main airways
In addition to a number of emirates with separate governments, the United Arab Emirates has two most important airways. Emirates and Etihad are each state-owned airways, however by separate Emirates. This explains why they each exist and work very in another way; And why, regardless of points through the years, the possibilities of a merger between them are slim.
These are apparently attributed to separate airports in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. And with important element, they account for others as nicely. Dubai World Central will develop to be a brand new hub for the emirate, and Etihad has already overtaken its first airport, which nonetheless stays for personal flights. And with the shortage of home flights, it stays a global airport.
Would you prefer to share any ideas, or extra particulars, concerning the aviation panorama within the UAE? Inform us within the feedback.