Camp Humphreys, Republic of Korea – 4th Battalion (Assault), 2nd Aviation Regiment being ready with the most recent AH-64 Model 6 helicopter at Camp Humphreys, South Korea. Fielding began in November and can be accomplished in February. Until date, the unit has acquired 12 of its 24 plane. The occasion marks the primary abroad supply of a brand new model of the Apache plane.
Members of the Program Government Workplace of Aviation’s Apache Undertaking Workplace have been available when the plane arrived through an Air Power C-17 from manufacturing amenities in Mesa, Ariz. Whereas there, he assisted the unit in inspecting, assembling, after which flying their plane. From Osan Air Base to Camp Humphries.
“The fielding of the brand new AH-64E V6s Apache plane marks a turning level for the 4-2 Assault Battalion and we’re thrilled to deploy this airframe. The superior plane integrates trendy expertise for each the aviators and maintainers in our battalion,” stated Captain Timothy Ichs, D Firm Commander. “For our escorts, new techniques onboard permit them to have improved diagnostic capabilities and scale back plane downtime. For the Aviator, the AH-64E contains a sophisticated sensor suite, Degree 4 manned-unmanned teaming, and Presents enhanced situational consciousness general with an upgraded drive system which is a significant enchancment over the Delta model of the mannequin.
The V6 is supplied with the most recent in communication, navigation, sensors and for the primary time a cognitive determination help system. These techniques present a significant manner ahead within the Apache program and strengthen Apache’s function in joint pan-domain operations.
Model 6 of the Apache is the final deliberate modernization of the AH-64E mannequin plane, which can substitute the AH-64D Apache assault helicopters. V6 enhances Apache’s basic mission with the next enhancements:
- An improved cockpit map show that will permit pilots to make use of digital map photos to view terrain and different topographic options, rising pilot situational consciousness.
- A number of upgrades to the fashionable Goal Acquisition Designation Sight/pilot evening imaginative and prescient system that present improved decision and sharpness, permitting pilots to take targets extra clearly at longer ranges on their show screens.
- A GEN3 DE sensor meeting, which doubles the sensor’s subject of view and will increase decision whereas including coloration imagery to enhance goal detection and detection.
- Hyperlink 16 communication, which permits Apache to “change community connections on the spot and merge completely different networks for an operational image”, leading to improved real-time situational consciousness within the cockpit of the plane.
- Unmanned-Unmanned Teaming Prolonged software program designed to permit Apache pilots to instantly management different Military unmanned aerial techniques and obtain UAS video within the cockpit whereas directing their flight path and controlling their sensors Is.
Whether or not a brand new pilot or a veteran, working the AH-64E V6 requires intensive mission tools and flight coaching. The Program Government Workplace for Aviation’s Apache Undertaking Workplace’s New Gear Coaching (NET) crew supplies essential instruction to make sure that operators are ready to function safely and take full benefit of the various upgrades to V6 plane. 4-2 AB pilot coaching started in September 2021 and lasts for one yr, whereas upkeep coaching started in August 2021 and led to July 2022.
The Apache Web crew makes use of a mixture of classroom coaching, longbow crew coach classes and coaching flights to introduce pilots to the improved model. Operator coaching consists of 4 various kinds of programs: Plane Collection Transition Course, Plane Model Improve Coaching, Upkeep Check Pilot Collection Transition Course and Upkeep Check Pilot Model Improve Coaching.
Sturdy sensors, higher situational consciousness and higher data stream – all these enhancements have made the brand new iteration of Apache extra versatile. “The implementation and use of those plane can have a long-lasting and far-reaching impression on our mission to help and defend the Republic of Korea and ‘combat tonight’,” Iuchs stated.